The Q&A Archives: Water-loving plants

Question: I have a bank behind my house that I have been working on for years. We live on the side of a mountain. The bank area next to our driveway has water running down it and out of it most of the year. I have rerouted the water in the areas I would like to plant. The ground still holds a lot of water primarily year round. What plants can I plant that will enjoy the year round abundance of water. The area includes a shady and sunny area also.

Answer: In the sunny area you might try Iris ensata, Caltha palustris, Lobelia cardinalis, Asclepias incarnata, perennial Hibiscus, Tradescantia, Thalictrum, Carex, Monarda, and violets such as Viola cucullata.

In the shade you could try Chelone glabra, Tiarella, Cimicifuga, Phlox divaricata, and ferns.

You may also find some native plants growing in similar conditions on the mountain for more inspiration but I hope this gives you some ideas.