The Q&A Archives: Planting Schedules

Question: I'm in lower Michigan in zone 5. When is it safe to start seeds outdoors in the open? When is it safe to start seeds in a screened in porch with some protection? When can plant my canna bulbs outside? When can I plant my dahlia tubers outside?

Answer: I don't have your exact last frost date, but Detroit is usually around April 24. It's safe to plant most seeds outdoors after the last frost date, and after the soil warms up a bit. Plants that prefer cooler temperatures (root crops, greens, sweet peas) can be started sooner than those that prefer warmer temperatures (vining crops, zinnias). Check with your County Cooperative Extension office. They'll have the preferred planting times for your specific region. Plant cannas, dahlias and other tender bulbs in the garden about 2 weeks before your last frost date.