The Q&A Archives: Black spots on plants.

Question: My Indian hawthorn and Knock out roses both have black spots. My roses had black bugs that were eating the plant. What should I use to get rid of the spots and bugs? Thank you!

Answer: Jacqueline,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Products containing chlorothalonil (Daconil) or triforine will help control those fungal spots. Alternate between the two for best results. The bugs need to be identified by your County Extension Office before an appropriate control can be prescribed. They don't charge for the identification service.