The Q&A Archives: Fertilizer for lilacs

Question: I recently purchased a lilac bush from one of your stores. She has been planted and seems to be doing ok but what type of fertilizer do i use?
miracle grow ? or one for azaleas like that kind? how often do i apply?

Answer: You would not need a specialty fertilizer for a lilac. The acidifying fertilizer used on azaleas would not be helpful because it does not need the extra acidity the way the azalea might. I would suggest a granular fertilizer, either general purpose or slow release form, with an analysis of 10-10-10 or similar. Read and follow the label directions for how much to use and when to apply it. In addition, you could top dress every spring with a good quality compost. Also, use an organic mulch year round, spread it in a flat layer over the root area. It should be maintained at about three inches thick. The compost and mulch will help feed the soil slowly over time as they break down. Enjoy your new lilac!