The Q&A Archives: Zoysia grass

Question: Part of my St Aug. lawn was devastated last year by insects. Is Empire Zoysia also subjected to insect damage? What are the pros & cons of establishing a Zoysia lawn in central Florida? How would you prepare the soil? When?

Answer: Edward,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

All turf can be subject to some insects. Zoysia is a good turf for your area. I suggest you contact your County Extension Agents for suggestions as to the best zoysia for your area. The also have info on hand for preparing the site and planting turfgrass. Their contact info (if you are in Seminole County) is:
250 West County Home Road
Sanford, FL 32773
Phone: (407) 665-5556