The Q&A Archives: Starting Seeds

Question: I want to start my own seeds indoors early to get a good start. Would my money be better spent on heating cables to go under the flats to keep them warm or to have an over head light? They are in a room in my house where it gets 65 or 70 degrees and I can control the amount of daylight.

Answer: As long as you have a warm place to germinate your seeds, spend your money on artificial lights. Seeds will germinate in almost any warm place - even on top of the refrigerator, but they require bright light after they've germinated. Plan to give them 14-16 hours of light each day, supplemented with artificial light as required. Regular fluorescent shop lights do an adequate job, so shop around for the best deal.