The Q&A Archives: blackberry/raspberry bushes

Question: do i live in the correct ares for planting fruit(chadds ford pa) many do i need to plant in the same area...can i plant blackberries and raspberry together...thank you...a sinclair

Answer: I noticed this question along with another one very similar to it sent it close together. Since there are two email addresses I am sending the answer again to this second email address. Usually, we answer within a day or two so you would not need to ask twice unless you are worried about mail not getting through.

Yes, you should be able to grow blackberries and raspberries. These are large bramble plants so each one does need a lot of space, you do not want them to crowd each other. They need full sun and good air circulation. How many to plant depends on the space you have available, the specific variety you are planting, and how many berries you want to pick. You can plant both types in the same garden. Here is information on growing fruits including brambles such as these in Pennsylvania. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

Enjoy those berries!