The Q&A Archives: planting next to a side walk

Question: I have a side walk leading to my home and I would like to plant there and need some suggestions. thank you

Answer: Annual flowers are re-planted every spring. Some popular, colorful annuals for a mass planting type of display would include marigolds, red salvia, or petunias such as the Wave series. If you want to plant flowering shrubs that would live from year to year, you could consider the KnockOut series and Carefree series of roses. These are low maintenance landscape roses. Planting a row of all one rose would be very eye catching. If you would prefer evergreen shrubs that hold their leaves year round, you might look at boxwood, a slow growing evergreen. When you plant shrubs, be sure to allow ample space for each one to grow and mature to its full size. Your local nursery professionals may have additional suggestions based on a more detailed understanding of the growing conditions and the amount of space along your walk. Have fun with your project!