The Q&A Archives: first timer

Question: What are the best flowers to plant for a beginner. My flower garden will face east gets great morning sun. I receive partial shade from a 15 foot crepe murtal. The size will be 12 ft by 4 ft against the the house and porch at a right angle. Also what can I use to condition the topsoil before and after I plant the flowers. Thanks

Answer: Tammy,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Some good flowers to try include dwarf zinnias, Salvia Mystic Spires, New Gold Lantana and other lantanas, Mexican Bush Sage (Salvia leucantha), Yellow Bells (Tecoma stans), and Blue Plumbago.