The Q&A Archives: Magnolia tree problem

Question: My lovely Magnoia tree is not so lovely now. I believe it may have a disease, possibly black spot. It may be dying, all the leaves are spotted and yellow and fall off. What can I do?

Answer: Leta,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

If just the older leaves are doing that it is not a big cause for concern as magnolias will do that in spring as new growth comes on to take over and older growth is dropped from the plant. Stresses such as dry soil or soggy wet conditions can increase the amount and severity of the drop. Old leaves about to drop will often get leaf spot diseases on them as they are weaker as they are about to be dropped from the plant.