The Q&A Archives: Will I kill my Oak tree

Question: I am building a raised flower bed/ tree ring around a huge oak tree. Will cover th e roots with soil and stone hurt the tree? If so is there any way to revise this plan to work?

Answer: Christy,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

It is a matter of how deep and how much of the root system. Putting a bed around a tree is fine but try to not put it deeper than about 6" and not extending more than about 6 feet out from the trunk. It is a percentage thing but in general the tree should not be bothered by a flower bed.