The Q&A Archives: Preventing Acorns On Oaks

Question: I have two Pin Oak trees on my property that produce a ton of unwanted acorns each year. These mature trees are over 90 feet tall each. Is there a safe, easy, and economical way to prevent the formation of acorns, without hurting the trees?

Answer: Oaks are such grand and wonderful trees--but like other fruit and nut trees, they can drop unwanted fruit and nuts. <br><br>I can only think of one possible solution, and it's a long shot. There is a product made by a the Florel Company called FruitEliminator that may be helpful. However, it must be sprayed on to the trees, and efficient coverage of 90 foot trees would be, to say the least, difficult. If you are interested in trying it, it is available at garden centers and I have also seen it inJerry Baker's Mail Order catalog (ph. 1-800-888-0010). Other than that....import some squirrels to clean up the acorns! and take solace in the fact that your trees are providing food for wildlife.