The Q&A Archives: grass

Question: I don't have grass how can I start my grass to start growing

Answer: If you have no lawn at all, you could try seeding it as soon as possible this spring so you have some coverage this summer. However, the best time of year to seed a new lawn is in the late summer to early fall so you will probably have to do some extensive work later this season as well. You could also consider sod if it is in your budget.

Before seeding or sodding you need to do some soil preparation: remove existing weeds, loosen the soil and add organic matter to it, level it and rake it smooth. You may also need to add fertilizer and/or lime. To find out, run some basic soil tests and amend according to the test results.

Your local Rutgers county extension should be able to help you with the soil testing and interpreting the results, suggest the best specific lawn grass varieties for your local area, and help with developing an installation and ongoing maintenance plan for your lawn. Good luck with your project!