The Q&A Archives: Asiatic Lillies

Question: I just planted some asiatic lillies in a flower box. They were in full bloom at Easter and did well for 2 weeks. Now I have some stalks with yellowing leaves and some leaves are brown and dead. I don't know whether then plants are dead or going through a normal dormancy process? Can you help?

Answer: The normal bloom time for Asiatic lilies is spring through early summer. Sounds as though your plants have finished blooming and are ready for a rest. Cut off the spent flowering stem and begin withholding water so the leaves will dry up. After a resting period you should see new leaves emerging. When that happens, begin watering regularly again. After your plants have been in the flower box for about a year they will begin responding to the normal light levels and temperatures they're experiencing and should bloom right on schedule.

Best wishes with your garden!