The Q&A Archives: Rose Diseases

Question: How can I know if my rose bushes have a disease? What are the signs and how can I cure it?

Answer: Roses given good growing conditions, regular feeding and watering and some routine pruning are less apt to develop diseases. When they, do, you'll find yellowing leaves, spots, and other signs. Each disease has a specific control. To help prevent diseases, make sure your roses get at least 8 hours of direct sunshine everyday and that they have plenty of elbow room (overcrowded plants can develop fungal diseases). Try to keep water off the foliage and be sure to prune off the spent flowers, along with some stem to keep your roses producing healthy new growth. Water deeply once or twice a week and feed every 4-6 weeks with a fertilizer especially formulated for roses. If you follow this advice you'll have healthy, happy roses.

Best wishes with your roses!