The Q&A Archives: Best climbing vines

Question: What is the best climbing vine for very little sun areas? I would like something that is fragrant as well as colorful. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Joann

Answer: Joann,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Flowers in shade is a real challenge as most blooming plants need sun to bloom well. Potato vine blooms well in quite a bit of shade but isn't fragrant. The fragrant blooming vines need more sun. Your best bet would probably be Confederate or Star Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides). Another less fragrant option might be Carolina Jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirens).