The Q&A Archives: Growing Cannas in a pot

Question: Hi,
Can I grow Cannas in pots? If so, how many can I put to a pot, and how big should it be. Do deer eat them? Thanks for any help

Answer: You can grow cannas in a large container filled with potting soil (not garden soil). The size of your container will depend upon the variety of canna you are growing. Some will grow quite large (6' tall) and others remain smaller. For the larger cannas, choose a deep and wide container for each or plant 3-5 in a half whiskey barrel sized container. Cannas are heavy feeders; in a container you'll want to feed frequently, but at a lower rate. I use water soluable fertilizer (Shultz's or Peter's or Miracle-Gro) diluted to half strength and feed every 2-3 weeks.

I don't think cannas are on the deers list of favorite snacks but hungry deer will nibble just about anything so there are no guarantees. Hope they bypass yours!