The Q&A Archives: gardenias

Question: What is happening to my plants when the leaves start turning yellow? They are in full bloom now but I need to know for future reference? Thank you for your time

Answer: Elizabeth,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Check out which leaves are turning yellow. If young leaves near the tips are yellowing while older leaves remain green, your plant is exhibiting iron deficiency. If older leaves are the ones yellowing and dropping, the problem may be soggy growing conditions which can destroy roots by cutting off their supply of oxygen. Nitrogen deficiency shows up as yellowing of older leaves first and in time can progress to all the leaves on a plant.

Other causes of yellow, dropping leaves are drought, herbicide injury, and physical damage to plant roots.