The Q&A Archives: maintainig moisture in large plastic container

Question: how can I keep outside plants in large plastic containers from suffering from the sun and heat during summer months?retain moisture

Answer: Eva,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

The key is to maintain moderate moisture in the soil which may mean watering daily or if the containers are too small for the plant's size even twice daily. I like to locate my containers where they get a lot of morning sun and some afternoon shade. This insures adequate light exposure but reduces water use and plant stress quite a bit.