The Q&A Archives: Moist soil, heavy sun, what to grow?

Question: I have a 8ft x 16ft wide area that is situated below my retaining wall. This area is normally moist due to the sprinkler system drainage from the lawn above the retaining wall. Since the sprinler system above and below the wall is on the same zone, I can not use different watering times. My issue is: What type of flowering plants can I grow ib that area? The clay soil (with 6 in of top soil) hold the spring rains. Due to the hot summers in Dallas, the wall also reflects the heat onto the plants. Any suggestions?

Answer: Allen,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

That is a tough condition for plants. Some choices include any plants that are well suited to the boggy conditions around ponds. Cannas will bloom and come in colorful foliage too. Other choices include Louisiana iris (although the full sun is a bit hard on them) and bog sage (Salvia uliginosa).