The Q&A Archives: Queen Palms

Question: I recently planted a queen palm tree which is approx. six feet tall. The fronds are growing toward one side. I pulled the tallest one toward the opposite side and broke it mid-way. Should I be concerned about the tree and will that frond grow. What should I do? Please help me

Answer: Terry,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

I wouldn't worry about the palm tree. The broken frond may go ahead and die or may hang in there for a while. Just provide the palm with good care; some watering and periodic light fertilizing. Give it some time to settle in and it should resume new growth and be fine.