The Q&A Archives: Lawn Seeding

Question: I inadvertently used a weed AND grass killer on my lawn. I had hoped that with the recent deluge of rain we received that the chemical would be washed off but no such luck. The lawn has started to yellow and I'm wondering what to do now. How long do I need to wait for the chemical to lose it's potency before I can put seed down? Is there a time of the year that is best for grass seeding? We had a rye grass that the builder initially used. I'm looking to put something down that is more durable in this Texas heat. Suggestions? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Answer: Gilbert,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Without knowing the ingredient it is difficult to say how long the effect may last. If the product killed existing weeds it may be that you can already put down seeds. If it prevented weed seed from establishing it may take a couple of months before seed can be planted. If you can find out and submit another question to the website I'd be happy to try and help further.