The Q&A Archives: Eastern Redbud not flowering

Question: Last year I bought two eastern redbud trees (cercis canadensis). Only one of the trees is blooming this spring. Is there a reason why the other one would not bloom, or did I get the wrong tree?

Answer: I don't think there is anything wrong with the non-blooming redbud, especially if it is putting out healthy new growth. It is the nature of redbuds to take a while to become established enough to flower. I hope this doesn't happen to you, but I've heard they can sometimes take 4-5 years to bloom! You can help things along by fertilizing your redbud regularly. I would apply a layer of compost or composted cow manure about 1" thick (mulch style) at the base of the tree all the way out to the drip line. I would also try fertilizing with a "superphosphate", this is simply a fertilizer with a high phosphorous content such as a 5-20-10 (phosphorous is the second number).

Best wishes with your landscape!