The Q&A Archives: growing annuals from seeds

Question: I was wondering how often should I be watering my flowers that I am I growing from seeds and bulbs? I think I am over watering them. (I am not seeing results)

Answer: In order for seeds to germinate, they need a constant source of moisture, but too much water will cause them to rot. I have the best success with my seeds by first planting them in moistened seed starting mix or potting soil and then watering from the bottom when the very top of the mix changes color. It's a very gradual change, but it will look dry on the top (but not bone dry). Then set the pots or trays in a container of water and you'll see how the moisture is wicked up and the top of the soil looks damp again. Remove the pots or trays to allow them to drain, then watch the top of the soil for color changes and water when it appears dry. Same thing for bulbs.

Best wishes with your seeds and bulbs!