The Q&A Archives: travelers palm care

Question: I buy all my plants at HD and always get advice on certain plants. I recently got 2 travelers palm for a real good deal. The palms seems to be okay but all the leaves looks ragedy from the drive home. How do I go about trimming them down so new stalks can give me new nice leaves? Plus I am getting baby growth on the both trees, do I leave it or let it grow? Will it effect the growth of the mother plant and ruin the look of the one direction of the leaves?

Answer: James,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

You might leave it be for a while to settle in and recover from the damage. Fertilize it with Miracle Gro or a similar product at the low constant feed label rate. In a week or two trim off the old damaged areas as new grow appears to replace the all important leaf area that sustains the plant. The babies at the bottom can be left or removed depending on your aesthetic preferences.