The Q&A Archives: brick patio

Question: What is the best sand to put down before you lay the bricks for the patio? ALso, how do I make sure the grass will not grow up throught the bricks?

Answer: Amy,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Speak to someone at your local home depot about showing you their basic washed sand or sandbox sand. That will work fine. You can put down a layer of weed cloth fabric below the sand if you like but if you first remove all weeds from the area you should not have resprouting. There will in time be some seeds that find their way in but they are easy to control with sprays containing glyphosate.