The Q&A Archives: Growing Tulips Indoors

Question: I was given a beautiful tulip plant (containing lots of shoots) and am keeping it indoors. I am curious if I can keep this tulip plant growing indoors. Also, I have noticed that the leaves have became a lighter green. I would like to know what causes this and what kind of light conditions does this plant need? Is indirect light good for this plant?

Answer: Tulips can be grown in containers in the house; they will last anywhere from a week to a month, depending on the plant and indoor conditions. The plant needs plenty of light. Morning sun is O.K., but the hot afternoon sun coming through window glass may be too much--the glass tends to intensify the heat. Water well, when soil feels dry to the touch. Check moisture often. The blooms will last longer in cooler temperatures.<br><br>Once they are finished blooming, it is not advisable to save tulip bulbs, because they rarely do well the second year. If you enjoy tulips--and they are beautiful flowers--buy new bulbs each year. Make sure they are properly chilled before planting.