The Q&A Archives: blue perennial bulbs not showing

Question: I planted about 150 bulbs last fall, many of them blue. The blue Starflowers aren't showing yet. The Tulips (darwin blue, late spring) aren't showing yet, nor are the blue daylilies. Meanwhile the bulbs planted at same time that are non-blue are on schedule and the pre-existing daylilies are underway. Any insite re this situation?

Answer: Although it sounds curious that only the blue flowering bulbs are late, there is really no reason for this to happen. Bulbs are bulbs, regardless of the flower color. The larger the bulb when you plant it, the more reserve energy it will have and the quicker it will show in the spring - and the larger the flower. I'm afraid that all things being equal (bulb size, planting site, water and nutrients), flower color really has nothing to do with which bulb will flower first. It is interesting, though.

Best wishes with your garden.