The Q&A Archives: Pest Control

Question: I have these bugs which are a little larger than a fly. They have black and red wings. I had them last year and called a service who came out three times. They said they were chinch bugs. However, I went outside and my flower garden is loaded with them. I would appreciate knowing what they are and how to get rid of them. Last year, I looked up a Zimmerman moth in this web site and found a picture of it, plus a whole lot of other bugs. I think it was an Ortho site. Thank you.

Answer: They sound a lot like chinch bugs but to make sure, take a few of them in a plastic baggie to a nursery professional or master gardener so they can positively identify them for you. In turf areas where chinch bugs have been a perennial problem, early insecticide sprays have been used to reduce the beginning spring population. This works well if applications are made in April or early-May after the adults have finished spring migrations and the young nymphs are just becoming active. A single treatment won't rid your landscape of chinch bugs so finding them again this year doesn't surprise me. You can use the following products to control the chinch bugs:
Bendiocarb (Ficam)
Carbaryl (Sevin)
Chlorpyrifos (Dursban)
Cyfluthrin (Tempo)

Read the label and apply with frequency and in the amounts as listed on the product label.

Best wishes with your landscape.