The Q&A Archives: Vegetable& Fruit balcony

Question: I want to grow vegetables and fruits on my balcony,I live in an apartment complex.I'd like to plant in hanging pots or pots that I can maintain easily.Is it possible?

Answer: Rose,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Fruit would be tough to do in containers on a balcony except for satsumas, kumquats, Key lime and Meyer Orange. Give them a large container such as a half whiskey barrel.

See the following web site for more info:

You can grow vegetables on a balcony. The key is to choose containers with a volume of about 5 gallons or more for most vegetables so there is plenty of soil for roots to grow in. The following web sites provide more helpful information on growing in containers.