The Q&A Archives: Pond Plants

Question: We just built a pond in our backyard. I want to have plants in it only, but when I purchased plants today and got them home, I wasn't really sure how to place them in the pond. Do they go in with the small bucket that they are in right now or do you remove them from it? Also, what types of plants are good in ponds? I noticed that there are several different types of plants and I just need to know how many and of what? Thanks so much. Debra Dunlap

Answer: Debra,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Your question is really many in one. If the pots around your plants have holes in the bottoms you can sink them into the pond and let them grow in the pots as the roots will grow out of the pots whether there is soil in the base of the pond or if it is a liner based pond. You can then easily move them or remove and replace them as needed.

For a lot more info on pond gardens check out the following web sites: