The Q&A Archives: Help!

Question: I have 4 plants of Gold Shot Erysimum in my flower bed that look like they are beginning to die. I have blooms but the leaves are not growing at the same rate and are beginning to dry at the base of the plant. I water with a sprinker not a soaker and water every couple of days. I also have about an inch of mulch down in the bed. What am I doing wrong? They been in the ground about 1 month. HELP

Answer: Christine,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Watch to make sure you are not overwatering. Feel the soil a few inches down below the surface to see if it is wet or not before watering again. The frequent wetting of the plant's foliage may also be contributing to its problems. Those plants are not long lived in your hot climate.