The Q&A Archives: Plaqued!!

Question: Hello - I am plaqued with moles in my beds and lawn. I have tried everything from traps to granules to liquids to gum (you name it). No luck. Please help me.
Also, in about 2-3 weeks my lawn will have large yellow spots (I believe dollar grass). How do I avoid that?
I appreciate anything you can do to help me out.
Regards,Lynn Schuping

Answer: First of all, moles are somewhat beneficial in that they eat grubs and help aerate the soil and do not harm plants, so you may not really need to control them unless their tunnels are causing a safety issue. If you are seeing damage to plant roots, the culprit may actually be voles rather than moles. Here is some information on these two animals to help you with that issue. Keep in mind that to be effective you must place the traps appropriately and use the recommended model.

With your lawn, you will need to determine whether the problem is dollar spot or billbug related. Here is some information about that --

Your local county extension should be able to assist you with identifying the problem for sure and based on knowing that, recommend how to handle it.

Good luck with your lawn this summer!