The Q&A Archives: Removing young trees from garden

Question: I have a very nice and well established flower garden, however, I keep getting these young trees shooting up through out the garden. (I think it is squirrels burying some of our walnuts.) I often will dig these out but some get to be a little larger. Is there a chemical that I can put on them that would kill them?

Answer: You'll first want to make sure the suckers are not attached to a tree some distance away from your flower garden. If they are the same type of tree as you have growing in your landscape, you wouldn't want to use a chemical to kill the suckers because it could be transported back to the parent tree. If you're sure the little saplings are from seeds and not from the roots of a tree, you can kill them off by cutting them at ground level and immediately painting Round-Up (or other vegetation killer) directly on the cut end. The herbicide will be transported from the cut down to the roots and will kill it completely.