The Q&A Archives: Direct seeding

Question: Instead of tilling or digging my small beds & borders, I've spread compost over them. This spring I would like to just direct seed a bunch of different annuals into this areas, cover with a light amount of more compost and hope for the best. Does this sound do-able? <br>

Answer: The benefits of digging organic matter into the soil make the labor worthwhile. You'll break up the soil, add material that will both absorb and release water, plus, decomposing organic material will supply plant roots with nutrients.<br><br>But, since you've chosen to plant the 'lazy man's' way, your annual flowers may not perform to their full potential, but they should look nice, anyway. Annuals, being short lived, usually have few cultural requirements other than adequate sunlightand water. So, plant and enjoy - but do consider turning that compost into the soil at some point this coming fall, just to give a little something back to the earth!