The Q&A Archives: killing weeds around my pond

Question: what kind of weed killer can i use around my pond to kill the weeds without worry out killing my fish and wildlife

Answer: Vegetation around the pond edge can be controlled by hand pulling, cutting, or mowing. This can be effective against emergent weeds such as cattails and some submerged weeds and should start in spring when leaves first begin to appear. By repeatedly removing the leaves on cattail plants, the food supply in the underground tuber will be depleted and the plant will eventually die. This method, requiring persistence on the part of the pond owner, can have noticeable results in one growing season.

A longer-lasting, but expensive, solution is to eliminate the shallow areas that are conducive to weed growth. A minimum water depth of three feet will prevent rapid establishment of aquatic vegetation. Shoreline edges can be steepened with a dragline.

You can spot treat broadleaf weeds near the pond with 2,4-D. Be sure to read and follow label directions for proper use of any chemical control. Improper use may cause fish kill.