The Q&A Archives: FL Question Pachysandra (Japanese Spurge0

Question: I live Jacksonvile, Florida, 32256 zip-code. I want to grow Pachysandra ground cover. I'm advised that this plant will not survive in this area, although the data book shows that this plant is used for zones 4 thru 9. Would you please verify? Thank You.

George Tucker

Answer: George,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

The hardiness zone range you listed of 4 to 9 is the rating for winter low temps that the plant can tolerate. In the south we need to focus just as much if not more on heat zone rating. Pachysandra (Japanese Spurge) is rated only as far south as heat zone 8 and you are in zone 9. As a result our long, hot and often humid summers are too much for it to thrive here.