The Q&A Archives: Mealy on Majesty Palm

Question: I have a Majesty Palm inside my home. I have the white 'cotton' looking stuff on the under side of the leaves. Also Mealy. How do I fix this problem? Thank you. Elizabeth

Answer: Elizabeth,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

You may be seeing whiteflies, scale and or mealybugs. All these can be very devastating to plants. I suggest you move the plant to a shady outdoor location and then spray its foliage with a strong blast of water, making sure to get the undersides of the leaves. Then spray the plant with a spray of a product containing imidocloprid or as an alternate use insectidical soap. More than one application may be needed. This palm is better suited to outdoor settings where it can get a lot of light. If it has been indoors for very long gradually introduce it to more light to avoid sunburn of the foliage.