The Q&A Archives: low maintenece

Question: Can you please tell me, I purchased a square 29 inch high planter for my balcony, I would like to add some hight with a plant for some privacy and appearance. I was looking at the tall hibiscus plant at my local home depot and no one could tell me anything about it, it also did not have any papers on it so I could read for myself. I am out of town a lot and an not sure if this type of plant will hold up without constant water. It is lovely. Will this be okay or do you have an alternate suggestion?

Answer: Unfortunately, no living plant growing in a container will thrive without regular watering during the summer. Unless you are able to have a friend or neighbor water daily, you probably will not succeed with a plant. However, you might be able to use an attractive trellis panel or sculptural piece set into the planter container to screen the view. When you are home to enjoy flowers, add a bouquet in a vase at the base of the planter or hanging on it. I hope this gives you some ideas.