The Q&A Archives: sick Impatiens

Question: My impatiens used to be bright pink and had healthy leaves. Even though they are in the shade, the flowers have turned pale pink and the leaves are a yellowish color and the plants look as if they are shriveling up. What am I doing wrong? I fertilized them and they still look sick.

Answer: Alison,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

It is either due to dry soil conditions or a root problem such as nematodes. I suggest you dig up a plant or two with some roots and soil attached and take it to your County Extension Office for a diagnosis for nematodes.