The Q&A Archives: best flowers for a shady area

Question: I am wondering what is the best flower or flowering shrub for a shady area. Basically it is a 30 foot stone area that is mostly in the shade- it does get a couple hours of sun per day. I love the look of the Shasta Daisy and preferably would like something that multiples and has color. Any suggestions?

Answer: Daisies require at least six hours of direct sun including the hour of noon to do well. If the area receives that much sun, it would actully be considered a sunny planting site. If it receives direct sun in the afternoon, you would also need to select sun and heat tolerant plants rather than shade plants. However if it is getting dappled light all day or some direct morning sun, your shade plants should be fine.

Perennials you could use inlcude hostas, ferns, pulmonaria, tiarella, tricyrtis, lamium, and dicentra. Of these, the ajuga and lamium would spread the best. If you want a true groundcover effect, you could try lily of the valley or Vinca minor (evergreen) or Ajuga.

Shrubs might include the white flowered Hydrangea arborescens, or possibly some of the hardier rhododendrons if you have acidic soil that is organic and humusy as well as evenly moist yet well drained.

I hope this gives you some ideas.