The Q&A Archives: Sandy sunny flower garden help

Question: I want to plant a flower garden in my front yard. We reomved shillings & holly from the area. The area is in full sun most of the day (hottest) and is sandy. I would like some suggestion for colorful, easy maintaince plants. This is my 1st gardening adventure. I am not opposed to adding herbs to this garden as well.

Answer: Shellie,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Add a few inches of compost to the soil prior to planting. Then some good plants to consider include yellow bells (Tecoma stans), Salvia 'Mystic Spires', Lantana (many types), perennial hibiscus, Plumbago, and Purslane/Portulaca.