The Q&A Archives: Planting Bed Ideas

Question: I have three seperate planting beds that I would like to have color from Spring through Fall. I am not sure which perennials and annuals would be best for my area. I would like some height in the back and progressively get shorter towards the front. Do you have any suggestions on plants and placement?

Answer: You're on the right track! A garden bursting with blooms from spring through fall will be spectacular. You'll have to do a little research to see which plants grow the largest, then place them in the center and graduate sizes down to the border of the beds. Here are a few suggestions for summer color: Armeria maritima ?Bloodstone?; Daphne odora ?Aureo-marginata?; Syringa vulgaris ?Lavender Lady?; Spirea x bumalda ?Monhub?; Wisteria floribunda ?Texas Purple?; Hemerocallis x?Mond?; Lavandula latifolia; Rosmarinus officinalis ?Tuscan; Loropetalum chinense 'Sizzling Pink?. For late summer, early fall color, be sure to include chrysanthemums, Sedum x 'Autumn Joy', Purple Fountain Grass Pennisetum, maiden grass Miscanthus sinensis `Gracillimus`, Geranium x 'Pink Spice', Osmanthus fragrans,
Rosmarinus officinalis ?Tuscan Blue?, Jerusalem sage (Phlomis lanata) and French lavender. You can fill in around these with annuals of all kinds. Enjoy your garden!