The Q&A Archives: why my flowering plants not blooming

Question: my gardenia's leaves are yellow and not blooming and my bird of paradise'leaves are burned and not blooming the leaves of my roses are turning brown and the blooms are stunt my ginger are all burned out please tell me what i'm doing wrong.i love plants i have all kind anything that flower.

Answer: Mona,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. The spring rush has brought a deluge of questions and we are working hard to catch up!

Those may all be due to different causes. Dry soil and soggy soil both damage roots and can cause some of the problems you are seeing. Try to keep the soil moist but not too wet. If you over fertilize this can burn plants. If you put a plant such as ginger in more sun than it wants (it prefers full shade) it may burn.