The Q&A Archives: Weed Killer

Question: I am preparing a new garden bed on a hill side that has many weeds and recently had them all chopped down. Now I want to spray a weed killer on them then I am going to airiate the ground and add some better soil along with some fertilizers. How long do I need to wait after spraying the weed killer before I can start my process of airiating and fertilizing and planting new flowers so the spray does not effect the new plants?

Answer: If you plan on adding fertilizer and top soil, you probably don't need to spray with a weed killer. Use a rototiller and go over the bed, then rake out the weeds and roots. Spread your topsoil over the surface, sprinkle on the fertilizer, then rototill again. Then rake the area level and lay some weed barrier cloth over the entire bed. A final step will be to plant your new plants, then cover the weed barrier with organic mulch, bark chips, shredded bark, or other decorative material. No weeds will dare to grow in your newly prepared garden bed! Enjoy!