The Q&A Archives: grass seed

Question: I have a lot of seeding to be done. In some large areas. What's the best way to do it? Also, I have some to do under pine trees that I cut the branches off half way up. Will seed take under them?

Answer: There are two or three ways to broadcast grass seeds; one is to simply toss it out by the handfuls, criss-crossing the areas to make sure you've covered them all; another is to use a hand-broadcaster (plastic bin with a crank handle on it) and a third is to use a wheeled spreader. Sometimes you can rent the spreaders at garden centers. It looks similar to a fertilizer spreader.

Depending upon the grass seed type, you should have some sprout under the pines. Soil there is dry and acidic so grass isn't always successful, but it's worth a try.

Best wishes with your new lawn.