The Q&A Archives: Non-blooming Azaleas

Question: My azaleas are 4 years old and the bushes are beautiful but they are not blooming. What do I need to do?

Answer: There are only a few reasons azaleas won't bloom. First is immaturity. If your plants are 4 years old, I think we can rule that out. Second is exposure to sun. Are your azaleas the type that require sunshine? If they aren't getting enough sun, they won't bloom. Third - are your plants setting flower buds? You should be able to tell by this fall whether or not they are setting buds. If they are, but they never flower, you may be losing the bloom to frost or freeze. Finally, over-fertilization can affect flowering. Too much nitrogen fertilizer will promote lush, green growth at the expense of flowers. So, if your azaleas are planted near a lawn that is regularly fertilized, they may be getting too much nitrogen.

Hope this information helps you determine just why your azaleas aren't blooming.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"