The Q&A Archives: Watering

Question: I live in a New York City apartment with a sizeable terrace. I have several potted plants. What equipment or tank can I buy so that I won't have to keep lugging buckets of water to water my plants and trees? I want something I can run a hose. So, I don't want those carrying portables. It is backbreaking. I do have outlets. Please help.

Answer: You could look at a drip system with individual spaghetti tubing or emitters leading to each pot and set it up on a timer. There are many different brands of irrigation available and the systems for homeowners are meant to be relatively easy to install on your own. Or, you can use a watering wand on the end of your garden hose. This allows you to adjust the flow as desired and has a "shutoff" so you can walk from pot to pot without spilling water all over. These are widely available.