The Q&A Archives: how do you sod a deck?

Question: is it possible to put sod on a deck? I have an urban deck about 300 sq feet and would like to put grass on it. How is that possible?

Answer: Unfortunately, this is not as simple as one would think it should be. First you need to check with the building engineer to find out if the deck can support the extra weight of damp soil and turf grass. You will also have to see if there is a way to safely drain runoff that has percolated through the roots and soil. Then you will have to determine how to install the sod so the deck surface is protected from the constant moisture. This will require a system similar to what is used on green roofs -- protective layer, substrate, growing medium, plant. Overall this is a fairly complex (and expensive) project. You might want to look into using one of the new synthetic lawn products instead. I wish I could be more encouraging.