The Q&A Archives: Magnolia and Oak

Question: I have planted both Magnolias around my yard and they don't seem to be flourishing, I just used 10-10-10 on them and I try to keep them watered regularly, any tips?

Answer: It can take newly planted magnolias and oaks up to a full year to establish their root systems before they're ready to grow. As long as the plants look otherwise healthy, all you can do is just give them some time to adjust to their new homes. Be sure to water your trees deeply to encourage a deep rooting system. This is best accomplished by making a watering basin beneath each plant, about 12-18" in diameter. When it's time to water, flood the basin, allow to drain, then flood a second time. Watering in this manner will concentrate the moisture over the root mass and allow it to trickle down and wet the entire root system.

Best wishes with your new trees!